10.16.2011

vanilla extract.


Vanilla extract. A staple in baking. Let me tell you how much I hate buying it at the grocery store... 8$ for a big bottle?? You've got to be kidding me.

I've been wanting to make my own for over a year now.  I finally got myself to do it!  I don't know why it took me so long.. I guess I'm lazy? yeah, that's it.

This batch (my first) have been only soaking for a few days and they already show some good color! I can't wait until I get to use it.

I got the glass containers at the Container Store. We have one here in Denver and it was my first time being in there. It was UH-MAZING! I'm surprised I didn't buy the whole store.. seriously. I think I'm going back for more of these bottles. They would be good for multiple things!

I also got to thinking... if I can make my own vanilla extract why couldn't I make my own lemon extract? Or orange? Or Almond? or maybe even try apple? whoa... I might be getting out of hand. I'll have to do some more research on that.

Vanilla extract is really quite easy.  All you need are vanilla beans, and vodka. Oh, and something to but them in.  You want to use 3 vanilla beans to 8 oz (1 cup) of vodka. Split the vanilla bean in half before you but it in the bottle, pour in the vodka, close that baby up and shake it.  Put in a dark cupboard and shake the bottle every few days.  After about 2 months it should be good to go!

Now get to it, it would make an awesome present.. just in time for Christmas!

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment